First Congregational Church of Reading, UCC
POSITION TITLE: Christian Education Coordinator DATE: 2/8/2017
REPORTS TO: Learning Ministry and Pastor
JOB SUMMARY: The Christian Education Coordinator coordinates Sunday Church School programming in cooperation with the Learning Ministry and volunteer teachers. She/he prepares for and leads the elementary grades class and supports multi-age activities for the whole church school at certain times of the year. The Christian Education Coordinator will be a staff member of the Learning Ministry Team and work under their supervision.
10-12 hours per week, 42 weeks per year (mid August – May)
KEY JOB TASKS:
- Work in partnership with the Learning Ministry team to plan and coordinate Church School programming including 6 – 8-week class sessions and 2 all-aged sessions for Advent and in the spring.
- Serve as lead teacher in the elementary grades class, including coordinating with 2 – 3 assistance teachers and preparing for classes utilizing provided curriculum, Spark Rotation online.
- Work with the Pastor to develop, manage and teach a re-worked confirmation program designed for today’s youth.
- Collaborate with others on new and current creative efforts in the FCCR Church School Program with focus on using technology and media, new and contemporary teaching/facilitation methods and curricula, and ideas for dealing with children whose attendance is “regularly sporadic”.
- Assist when needed in preparing and supervising Activities in the Sanctuary and RILAS activity stations.
- Help to expand and grow FCCR outreach, service and mission opportunities for children, youth and families.
- Be familiar and comply with emergency procedures, “Safe Church”, and confidentiality policies.
- Communicate regularly with families about church school activities.
- Pursue continuing education such as Super Saturday and New England Association of United Church Educators conferences.
CHURCH SCHOOL PROGRAM
Typical Sundays – Children start in the sanctuary though our Children's Moment, then depart for classes.
Communion Sunday (1st Sunday of the month) – children start in class, then 3rd grades and up join service for communion.
Activities in the Sanctuary – during school holiday weekends, our special program of activities allows children to remain in church while being occupied working on fun projects.
Radically Intergenerational Learning Activities Sundays (RILAS)- Occasional series of special worship to engage all generations together in a service of learning, activity, and prayer.
Confirmation Program – biennial class for youth between 7th & 12th grades who wish to explore their faith, develop an understanding of progressive Christian theology and community, and experience service, mission and social action.
BOARDS AND COMMITTEES
- Attends monthly Learning Ministry meetings.
- Prepares lesson plans for class.
- Coordinates teaching schedules with volunteer assistant teachers.
- Purchases materials and supplies as required and submits reimbursement requests through the Learning Ministry.
- Experience working with children and youth with diverse needs
- Strong interest in faith formation and youth and children’s ministries
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Experience managing group dynamics and discipline
- Ability to manage a multi-age classroom
- Creativity and Flexibility
- Works effectively with technology
- CORI background checked
Commensurate with experience.
Christian Education training expenses and professional resources provided.
FCCR is an open and affirming member church of the United Church of Christ.
We are committed to diversity in our ministries, mission and staffing with regard to race, ethnicity, gender identity, nationality, age, physical ability, religion, and sexual orientation. We welcome the unique contributions that individuals from underrepresented communities can bring to our work and encourage applicants with diverse experiences to apply for this position.
FCCR welcomes applications from interested seminarians for Field Education in 2017-18.